Re: Cold climate plesiosaurs (was Re: Survival)

At 11:40 -0800 8/2/98, Ronald Orenstein was kind enough to write:

]Dann wrote:
]
]>Actually there is good evidence that the Early Cretaceous inland
]>sea that covered most of Australia contained icebergs at times,
]>due to the presence of "dropstones" in marine sediments. Plesiosaur
]>and Pliosaur remains (as well as the occasional Mosasaur scrap) are
]>known from this period. There are also plesiosaur teeth from fresh
]>water locals in South Eastern Australia, well within the Antarctic
]>circle at the time.
]
]Well, so much for that objection to Nessie!  Very interesting -though
]I still think Loch Ness probably has nothing in it bigger than salmon
]and monster-hunters!

Well this is what it comes down to in my mind: we can't prove what a
pleiosaur could have evolved into, since it's a complete unknown.
Maybe it can be freshwater tolerant, maybe it can fly. The point is:
is there something in Loch Ness, whatever it might b?. There isn't any
genuine evidence, so until a piece of Nessie gets pulled up in a
SeaDoo propeller, I'm not spending any time trying to figure out what
it might be.

If I claimed that there were flapjacks down my pants, you couldn't
prove or disprove it by speculating about the evolution of pankaces,
pannokeks and other members of the crepe family and decide it's more
likely that I have misidentified the waffle I shoved down there this
morning. The truth will only be revealed when I'm standing in my
skivvies in a pile of maple syrup. Not that I've ever done this
before.

However, I respect the fact that it's fun to explore evolutionary
paths, and learn about the fossil record for its own sake.

-Graeme.

Graeme Kennedy                   P 604.816.6061
SEER Communications              F 604.261.5339
PO Box 71027                     E mailto:graeme@seercom.com
Vancouver, BC V6N 4J9            W http://www.seercom.com