Re: Secondary Flightlessness

I believe in BCF, ...at least as far as I`ve read about it (I`m still
waiting for Mesozoic Meanderings #3 to come out so I can read about it in
full...hint,hint.). I can see no problem with secondary flightlessness
occurring....many times. If one looks at the energy requirements necessary
for birds to retain their properties of a flying existance, it`s easy to see
why they would take any opportunistically available route to a cursorial
lifestyle. The only block to this evolutionary pathway would be existing
predators at ground level, already occupying the niche. It seems to me that
periodic extinction events might have eliminated these predators in areas
large enough for these ancient "bird-forms" to fly in and have their go at
it.