Re: press interviews

>And, just to let the general public know how things go, it is my experience
>that I am interviewed for about half-an-hour for any particular news item,
>of which a sentence or two (at best) makes it to the print.  A lot is
>mentioned that isn't put into print.  This isn't censorship, it is
>journalism, and a journalist's job is to sift through the information to
>create a story of the appropriate size and content.

This is quite typical of the way I operate as a journalist. For all that we
try to know the fields we cover, we have to spend a while talking with the
scientists who do the work to understand what's news, and we have to
collect much more information than we actually publish. Science works like
that, too. A scienist collects a _lot_ more information than shows up in a
published paper, Like the journalist, the scientist sifts through the
information, decides what's important, and publishes a digested summary.
Scientists have to document their cases much more thoroughly than
journalists, but some of the rules are similar. -- Jeff Hecht

Jeff Hecht     Boston Correspondent    New Scientist magazine
525 Auburn St.,          Auburndale, MA 02466             USA
*****NOTE NEW ZIP CODE -02466- AS OF JULY 1, 1998******
tel 617-965-3834 fax 617-332-4760 e-mail jhecht@world.std.com
see New Scientist on the Web: http://www.newscientist.com/