Re: Secondary Flightlessness

I`m no expert in many fields. Embryology is one of them. Thinking on what
would induce a flightless condition in birds, I`m lead into thinking that
some sort of genetic "defect" might be responsible. Can any ornithologist
out there suggest any possibilities? Has there been documentation of some
condition (i.e. poorly developed flight feathers, or wing bones,  etc.) that
would cause a group of such creatures to become confined to ground level? A
condition that might have been passed on to descendants? Is this in fact a
common occurrance in nature? My thinking here is that such a specialized
condition of flight would need the utmost upkeep of a near perfect genome,
with the odds for imperfections creeping up being quite high. Am I correct
in assuming this??