Flightless Birds (was Re: BCF ANDPDW)

I wrote:
>        T) As some have observed, birds tend to become flightless in
>environments which have been depleted of other fauna (e.g. islands). How was
>it that successive groups of flighted theropods were more successful within
>niches than dinosaurs which had had millions of years to adapt to those same
>niches in the past?
        I hate to try to nip what may be a fruitful discussion in the bud,
but I was not making a point about islands. I was taking George to task on
the implication that a flying bird can do a non-avian archosaurs
running-and-jumping-and-killing job better than the non-avian. That's all.
        :)
        Wagner
P.S. Sorry for quoting so much today. And the excessive quoting on the list
was just starting to annoy me, too! Bloody hypocrits you people are. :)
                    "...To fight legends." - Kosh Naranek