re:Triassic potential for 2ndary flightlessness

>>I argue placental mammals are better at finding ground nests than anything
that evolved before them.  If true, this would enable many more
experiments in secondary flightlessness in the Triassic than today!
Does anyone know of any work that addresses this issue.  I do have two
pieces of info: varanids cannot find all eggs in a megapodes nest, whereas
foxes can; and a cite which I can't get at my library: Clark, R.G., and BK
Wobeser. 1997 Making sense of scents: effects of odour on survival of
simulated duck nests. J. Avian Biol. 28:31-37.  I would appreciate any
illumination on this issue.
John Bois.>>>

While I will not argue canid "intellectual" superiority over Savannah monitors, I would add that Savannah monitors are much more likely to survive periods of low-food availability. On a side note, I had a savannah monitor for years, and though the first time he saw an egg, he "knew" exactly what to do, he displayed more interest in live prey.

David Lessin