Re:Impact only a part of it all...

     The following is in reply to what Mr.. Dollan and Mr.. Greenwalt were
saying. (D 742).Again I`m no expert but ...I`ve recently written to ,
(before acquiring this computer), several known paleontologists, summarizing
my views on dinosaur evolution in hopes of some usefull feedback. (I won`t
mention names as I won`t incriminate anybody but myself). A lot of what I
had to say they didn`t agree with (that`s understandable), but, my views of
the K.T. extinction seemed acceptable, (at least no negative comment), so
I`ll present them here...as they might help sort things out.
          Basically              , the impact of this large bolide would
have not so much have chilled down the entire earth`s climate as it would
have clouded up the atmosphere enough to block out photosynthesis for an
extended period of time (many months). This in turn would have led to:1) the
elimination of herbivores, 2)the elimination of large predators, especially
those of warm-blooded nature, as large sized prey would no longer be
available. Those to survive would include:  1)insects, which could feed off
of dead plant matter for some time, 2) small insectivores, both warm and
cold-blooded, although probably in smaller numbers.
      I think that the preceding events would account for most of the forms
to have survived past the KT boundary. P.S. and as a possible corollary, one
might view this selective screening out of large warm-blooded species as a
possible indication of endothermic condition in some of the larger marine
forms, (a speculation on my part that did meet with some resistance).