Re: Bird origins

>Caleb,
>George is right.  When a parent has offspring, each of those offspring
>(with the possible exception of identical twins) is just a bit
different
>from each of the others.  When the environment is changing, some of
those
>offspring are just a bit different in a way that fits the changes in
the
>environment better than their brothers and sisters fit those changes.
So
>the animals with the lucky changes in the appropriate direction are
more
>likely to grow up and have more offspring than their siblings do.  And
some
>of these new offspring are different from their siblings in the same
sorts
>of way, and their children fit the new conditions even better.  This
>continues on for generation after generation, and the process is called
>natural selection.  Sometimes it happens very quickly, and sometimes it
>takes millions of years, but 'evolution' doesn't 'know' ahead of time
what
>to evolve.  It's just that random changes in each generation make some
>animals fit the new conditions better and some fit worse, and the ones
who
>are unlucky and don't have the appropriate changes can't get as much
food,
>and more of their eggs don't hatch, and their young aren't as likely to
>survive to adulthood.  So their contribution to the total population
>diminishes and vanishes, and the animals with the lucky changes
contribute
>more and more to the new population until they make up all of it.
>
>I'll leave the dino-to-bird thing to folks who know more about it than
>do.

   The truth is, this has  been a question that has ben bugging me about
evolution for some time. I'm still not sure that I get it. However, I
suppose that a mistake that I made was when I anthropomorphized
evolution. Out of pure curiosity (and not some Creationist desire to
thwart evolution), how often does something like this, different
offspring thing occur? Are there ny documented cases? If so, I would
like to know, and was wondering if you would be kind enough to supply me
with some places where I could actually get more info on the case.

Caleb Lewis
Come to my domain @ www.calebsdomain.home.ml.org !!!