Re: _Night Comes to the Cretaceous_

>Jonathon Woolf wrote:  et cetera.  Engineers call it a "cascade failure."

Yes, we do.  And the impactor triggered one.  I'll have to line up along side
George
on this issue.  Bear in mind that a six mile diameter impactor would make "Deep
Impact" look like a powder puff.  Any creature in direct line-of-sight of the
flight
path through the atmosphere would be dead before the impactor reached the
surface (and
likely even before arrival of the shock wave, because of thermal radiation from
the
shock front).

> > How would the appearance of kudzu in, say, South Carolina, cause the
> > extinction of, say, bald eagles in Alaska? Kudzu arrived from somewhere
> > else;
> > why isn't the place it arrived from devastated?
>
> Because in the place where it was -- East Asia, if I recall correctly -- it
> was
> controlled either by climate or by local herbivores.  Suppose a new species of
> plant arose that had no enemies in its origin-place and spread from there?
> Yes,
> eventually something would turn up that could eat it, but in the meantime it
> could
> do a heckuva lot of damage.

I come from a kudzu pocket in eastern Arkansas, where it was imported in the
early
20th century to control erosion.  It's a nuisance, but not devastating.

Jim