Re: Bird origins

Ronald Orenstein wrote:

<I strongly recommend Jonathan Weiner's "The Beak of the Finch" as a
superb place to start.  IMHO it is one of the best popular works on
evolutionary studies ever done, and compellingly readable.>

  This is an excellent book. I picked it up wanting a good reference
on variatrion in *Geospiza* (the Galapagos finches) and got instead a
work that showed that, while the finches inspired Darwin to a degree,
it was only until recently that the Weiners were able to _prove_ that
these animals were evolving  right in front of their eyes, as well as
giving us an idea of a few other things on moments of "observing
evolution".

  Like Ronald Orenstein says, it's a good read, and the author writes
it very well.

==
Jaime A. Headden

Qilong, the website, at: