Re: Cold climate plesiosaurs (was Re: Survival)

Paul Willis comments from afar:
______

>> I (Paul) have spent a lot of time looking at these sediments and never
>> seen a dropstone. I also don't know of any records of dropstone
>> in the inland sea. You could be talking about the Victorian deposits,
>> but these are not part of the inland sea.
>
>According to Rich, Rich and Rich 1996:
>        "Professor Larry Frakes and those working with him at the
>University of Adelaide think that they have good evidence that the
>sea had icebergs in it at times - at least in the area around
>northern South Australia. They have found big rocks, which they call
>dropstones, in a very fine sediment called the Bulldog Shale...
>One sensible explanation that they came up with was that icebergs
>had floated out into the sea carrying rocks they had picked up as
>they moved along the ground when the ice was part of a glacier."

OK, I'll stand qualified. My work in the inland sea has been mostly New
South Wales and Queensland where such deposits don't exist. It was a very
big inland sea covering most of Queensland and big chunks if South
Australia and northern New South Wales. So icebergs activity does seem to
be quite restricted.

Cheers,

Paul

Dr Paul M.A. Willis
Consulting Vertebrate Palaeontologist
Quinkana Pty Ltd
pwillis@ozemail.com.au

If smoking kills, how come it cures salmon?
______

Mary
mkirkaldy@aol.com

.