Re: _Night Comes to the Cretaceous_

In a message dated 98-08-09 09:42:42 EDT, 102354.2222@compuserve.com writes:

<< The point, George, is that coincedence of time doth not necessarily
 a direct correlation make. >>

The point is that coincidence of time quite frequently "doth" a direct
correlation make! As, for example, in the case of the K-T extinction.

Anyway, there seems to be no point arguing this issue any further. My position
is now quite well known. Perhaps it is good that there are still a few diehard
paleontologists who are hurling themselves at the asteroid impact theory. Who
knows? They may just find something that demolishes it (I >seriously< doubt
this). If they ever do, I'll be happy to stand in line to congratulate them
and embrace the new order.

Meanwhile, it almost seems as if a few paleontologists have become chagrined
that the mystery of what killed the dinosaurs--certainly the most widely known
paleontological puzzle to the general public--has turned out to have such a
mundane and prosaic, almost too good to be true, solution. And it doesn't help
that the mystery was solved by physicists rather than paleontologists.