From: Sherry Michael <MICHAELS@preit.com>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Date: Friday, August 07, 1998 5:08 PM
Subject: Re: _Night Comes to The Cretacous_

>Well, like I said, this was my opinion. I don't want to start yet another
extinction brawl. However, I think there is a little bit of a difference
between calling a new untested hypothesis "science fiction" and publishing
in a book that pretty much states that everyone who disagrees with the
impact is a crabby, short-sighted, old Uniformitarian. Besides, I think Mr
Charming himself, Alvarez Sr. did enough backtalk to paleos to "pay them
back" for the sin of not swallowing his idea hook, line and sinker.

>IMHO, I think there is a lesson to be learned in all of this. Keeping an
open, cautious mind never hurts. I'm not ready to accept the impact
hypothesis as gospel yet, but I'm also not ruling it out, either. I'm a bit
afraid that people will just start excepting it as fact, when really more
work needs to be done.