Fwd: Impact only a part of it all....

--- Begin Message ---
dollan@cyberport.net writes:
>They see a story on the impact rtelating to the dinosaurs' death, and of
course
>it gets portrayed as the only cause...but what about the professionals?
>What do you guys think?

While, as a dedicated lurkeid, this is clearly NOT directed at me, there is a
fairly good treatment of this issue by Stephen Jay Gould in his essay
"Dinosaur in a Haystack" found in his book of the same name.  In a nutshell
(No, this is me in a nutshell...) his opinion is that the paucity of
fossilized dinos just prior to K/T is a sampling artifact which could be, and
possibly has been, addressed and disproven.  For info actually worth
obtaining, read his essay.
    << owner-dinosaur@usc.edu >>

--- End Message ---