Re: impact

Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 98-08-09 21:46:55 EDT, dollan@cyberport.net writes:
>
> << Being an amateur myself, I'm also a little fuzzy on this one.  Would
>  massive fires leave evidence in the fossil record?  In the end, I
>  suppose it comes down to whether or not a fire damaged skeleton is in
>  the right place at the right time for fossilization. >>
>
> There is a soot layer associated with the K-T boundary clay (the iridium-rich
> boundary clay) at many sites. This is thought by some to be the result of the
> global firestorms immediately following the impact.
>
> DD

I hadn't heard about that...I didn't realize that such a thing would be
left behind in the geologic record.  Have other such layers ever been
found, either in concordance with a supposed impact, or from other
natural causes?  I've always been curious about the amount of forest and
grassland (a conveniant term, since there were no true grasses at the
time) fires during the Mesozoic.  I may be wrong on this one, but wasn't
the supposed oxygen level of the era higher than at present, or is there
really any way to tell aside from supposition and educated guessing?

Regards...
--
John M. Dollan
Montana State University-Northern

"To make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the
universe...."  Carl Sagan