Re: Night comes to the Cretaceous

Sherry said:

<I just think it is wrong to close our minds to other ideas-this includes
the
 impact hypothesis, too!> SNIP <The people who dare question the sacred
Alvarez theory are not a bunch of morons.>

Alvarez said as much in his book "T-rex and the crater of doom." Early in
the 80's, it was his team that analyzed the chemistry of the K/T boundary
clay and pointed to an impact in the ocean rather than on continental
crust. He blames that analysis for several years of wasted effort looking
for the crater on ocean floors. It was only after the Chixalub crater was
discovered on continental crust that Alverex et al figured how his
analysis had misled him. He also credits the Dartmouth team of Officer et
al--a group he calls "relentless critics"--for forcing the impact
proponents to thoroughly test all aspects of the hypothsis. These are
both examples of a hypothesis being strengthened through constant
questioning. No reason that questioning should stop now.