Re:Impact only a part of it all...

Following on from the various posts on this thread I would like to suggest
why some groups survived better that others:

(1)     Most important - luck or lack of it.

(2)     Small Mammals - these had at least two crucial advantages : (a)the
ability to      produce several large broods a year, and therefore many
generations quickly     in the  absence of competition ; (b)the ability to
hibernate.

(3)     Turtles - I was interested to see the post claiming they were virtually
        unscathed - perhaps they had laid their eggs deep enough that many of
these   survived the    fire-storms ! Same for surviving crocodiles ?

(4)     Small Birds - (a) flight ? ; (b)the ability to reproduce quickly.

(5)     Snakes and Lizards - the ability to hiberate was probably important
here too.

My view is that the KT event happened very quickly. The fire-storms would
have gone virtually global in the first few days but probably didn't burn
every where. There may have been "islands" or other areas where vegetation
was untouched. Most of the larger animals would have been wiped out by the
fire-storms, but the fire may have passed over smaller hibernating animals,
deep buried eggs, fire resistant seeds etc.  The KT winter may have been
milder and shorter than reported, the smoke that is supposed to have
blacked out the sun for months or years may have produced a ring enveloping
the landmass around the equator rather than extending over the entire
globe. As far as I am aware there is no evidence of increased glaciation to
indicate that the winter was long-term. Birds may have been able to fly to
less affected areas. After a few weeks eggs hatched, seeds germinated,
hiberating animals awoke and the rest is history !