RE: BRACHIATING (fwd)

This digresses from dinosaurs but it's an interesting topic.

On Mon, 10 Aug 1998, Jim Choate wrote:
> > From: "Stewart, Dwight" <Dwight.Stewart@VLSI.com>
> >  I believe the latest theory on hominid bipedalism is that it was a strategy
> > for standing taller in order to look out for predators.  It USED to be
> > thought that it was necessitated in order to have the hands free.
> > Richard Leakey has done a lot of work on this.
>
> So what happened to the theory that it was related to cooling? Any pointers
> to its downfall?

Cooling would've come after a committment to bipedalism. You can always
keep cooler just by staying in the shade or staying out of the sun during
the hotter parts of the day.

One of the cable channels recently had a thing on chimps that included
footage of bonobos. There was film of them walking upright, carrying
things (food). _This_ was spooky to watch.

Watching for predators or food? Hmmm.

Now, what ecological niche would be exploted by an upright stance?

In this vein, it often seems to me that most dinosaur predators
were bipedal, even small ones. Something similar in their lifestyles?
Predation?

Rich