Re: impact - LONG

All:

    My understanding is that the major difference is the length of time the
'Nuclear Winter' would last was affected by changes in the model.  (The time
is now considered to be a lot shorter than originally thought - weeks or
months instead of years...).

    As an aside about my long post, I put that together around 3:00 AM, and
I did not check any notes or references when compiling it.  (I do have more
detailed notes, but I just put a few boxes of stuff into storage, including
a lot of dino notes).  All mistakes in the list are mine, but I don't think
I made many outside of typos and mispellings.  The rest is interpretation.
{Check Hillel references:-) }

    There are several other events that occured at the K-T, but I can't
remember enough details right now to warrant posting them.  I meant to
mention the Signor-Lipps effect in the original post, but as I said, it was
late at night.  The effect is similar to the Heisenberg Uncertainty
Principle - the closer you get to examining your subject, the more likely
you are to introducing errors, or not noticing important info.  The time
frame of the actual extinction may be measured in days or weeks, or just as
likely, in hundreds of thousands of years.

    What really matters is that many families and many genera disappeared
around 65 mya, including all the non-avian dinosaurs.  The hows and whys are
interesting and potentially important questions, but they DO NOT HAVE
DEFINITE ANSWERS!!!!  (Time machines, notwithstanding).  My gut feeling
tells me that this theory has more than an element of truth, and seeks to
explain much of the seemingly contradictory evidence.

    By the way, Tracy, the genera count at the end of the Maastrichtian is
still debatable among most of the current workers, with a general decline
seeming to be most likely (at this time).

        Allan Edels