Re: Natural Selection - The Whole Story ?

>> The eco-system also includes other organisms. A more radical view is that
>> it is possible that organisms orchestrate each others evolution. This may
>> be to produce a symbiosis in which both (or all participating)organisms
>> benefit, a parasitic relationship, or a food-chain.
>
>Through exactly what mechanism would this occur, and how, if such a
>mechanism were established by evidence and defined clearly, would this
>mechanism differ from "natural selection?"

At a guess, it wouldn't.  All that would be needed is a range of variation
among individuals of the participating species, and a selective environment in
which the variants that permit the closest degree of interaction also
happen to
be those giving the greatest survival value to each.

Thus, it may be advantageous to a pollinator to have exclusive access to a
food
source, and to be able to discriminate between more nutritious individuals (eg
those with highest sugar content in their nectar) and others.  It may be
advantageous for the plant to ensure that its pollinators show up, and that
non-discriminating pollinators who may not visit the right kind of flowers in
future stay away.  Therefore any adaptations on the part of the plant that
either nutritive value or restrict access to undesirables will be selected
for;
so will adaptations that enhance a pollinator's discriminatory ability and
search strategy, and permit it access to a food source to a greater degree
than
its rivals possess.  The more this becomes refined, the greater the degree of
symbiosis.  Nothing beyond Darwinian, individual-based natural selection is
required for such a system to develop.
1825 Shady Creek Court