        From:   Jordan Mallon [SMTP:j_mallon@hotmail.com]
        Sent:   Tuesday, August 11, 1998 1:47 PM
        To:     dinosaur@usc.edu
        Subject:        Scubasaurus update

        So...
           thus far we've come up with a number of possibilities a large
        predatory dinosaur pack could do, should they kill an apatosaur in
the
        water.  Here they are:
        1) eat+ swim at the same time
        3) somehow balance on the body of the dead dino and eat it, then
swim
        back with full bellies
        4) tow the body back to shore and feast upon it there
        5) ride the body "surfer" style back to shore (while eating)
           Frankly, I don't see any of these happening, do you?  I've
already
        cast my doubt upon my ideas (the first three).  The fourth
suggestion
        could work if there was a HUGE pack of predators pulling the body.
        don't think the fifth idea would work either because I don't think a

        pack of large Allosaurus (for example) could fit on the back of an
        apatosaur.  And we all know that it must take more than one
Allosaurus
        to take out a 90+ ton animal.
           The way I see it; sure, I'd be willing to bet even big theropods
        would dash into the water after prey.  But not after anything much
        bigger than them since it probably wouldn't be worth the trouble.
Maybe
        the hungry carnivores would just walk the shoreline, waiting for
their
        meal to come swimming back to them.  Heavy sauropods can't tread
water
        forever, you know!

        - Jordan Mallon