Re: DINO EXTINCTIONS

How about a nice soil-borne fungus like Coccidioides immitis?
I know dogs and humans can both contract Valley Fever from this lovely
little critter.

It's likely this event kicked up bunches of dust into the atmosphere and
if this dust was carrying some air-borne infectious agent, all you'd
have to do was breathe some air downwind to get sick.  And if you were
from an area where you never had encountered said fungus
before............

So you could have wierd ash or dust falls killing PATCHES of plants,
wierd firestorms killing whatever it wanted too, wierd tidal effects
killing PATCHES of coastal terrestrial creatures and plants, wierd deep
oceanic effects killing off bunches of stuff in the water  (ooh maybe it
triggers something like a Red Tide), and wierd fungii killing PATCHES of
individuals unlucky enough to be down-wind.
Then we have some longer term weather conditions-probably a tad more
extreme than our recent El Nino to throw off plant recuperation and thus
the rest of the ecosystem.
Throw in my crazy idea that Late Cretaceous dinosaurs had lost most of
the ability to use their pineal glands to judge seasons in times of
seasonal disorders and thus really take a hit in recooperating a nice
breeding population.  And maybe for kicks throw in John's
mammals-eat-all the-eggs theory.

Sounds like fun.  Like shooting fish in a barrel

-Betty