HOLLOW-BONED ARCHAEOPTERYX

On whether or not the bones of _Archaeopteryx_ are hollow, George
recently wrote..

> Larry Martin told me personally that the limb
> bones of the London _Archaeopteryx_ were >not< hollow. Wish I could
> afford to go to London, slice through a limb bone and find out once
> and for all...

> What an elementary observation to be debating!

As has now been pretty well documented in the literature,
_Archaeopteryx_ limb bones certainly *are* hollow, contra to claims
otherwise. An explicit statement and illustrating photo resolving
this issue can be found in Tarsitano and Hecht's paper 'Reconsidering
the reptilian relationships of _Archaeopteryx_' (that may not be the
exact title - this is from memory).

On another matter, Matt Troutman recently said something about the
evolution of macropods and the presence of arboreality and bipedality
in this lineage. Haven't got time to go into this, but it's worth
mentioning that at least _some_ marsupial workers still consider
arboreality primitive for all kangaroos. Dave Peters has referred to
this theory on and off over the years - do note that it is
emphatically not a consensus view however.

"Harry, why is the clock on that 9 ft long nuclear weapon ticking?"

DARREN NAISH
darren.naish@port.ac.uk