Re: Fingers crossed

My two cents worth, as a Brooding-Came-First dino wing partisan.  The crossed
fingers are showing us that metacarpals II and III are being pushed/pulled
during decomposition, but where others might suggest shrinking tendons or
other effects, I'd like to propose feathers.  The fact that crossed fingers is
widespread and incudes dromeos, oviraptors, ornitholestes etc, is consistent
with the notion posited by Mark Orsen and I that all these creatures, and
Herrerasurus as well, possessed substantial sets of long primary feathers on
their hands.  These feathers, used for brooding, would no doubt have had SOME
effect on the positioning of the digits during decomposition and
fossilization.
    Tom Hopp