RE: BRACHIATING

At 03:41 PM 8/10/98 -0700, Stewart, Dwight wrote:
> I believe the latest theory on hominid bipedalism is that it
>was a strategy for standing taller in order to look out for
>predators.  It USED to be thought that it was necessitated in
>order to have the hands free.

And it has been suggested that it was a mechanism for heat regulation.

I am aware of all of these.

I disagree with them, at least in part.  I think paleoanthropologists are
looking too had for an explanation when a very simple one is right in front
of us.

Now, it is indeed quite possible that bipedalism was *retained* and
*enhanced* in early hominids due to some advantage of the sorts mentioned
above.  So in a sense I also agree with the above.  But I doubt that this
is the *origin* of the trait, as it is so utterly unique in all of the
animal kingdom.

                                          sfriesen@netlock.com