Totally OT natural selection question

Sorry to post this unrelated-to-birds question here, but since natural
selection has been discussed lately...

Last night there was a ruckus on my commuter train into Westchester --
evidently something horrible had wandered onto the train.

I was curious and saw people aghast at a cicada which had somehow
boarded the train, presumably in Westchester, and had then ridden the
train all the way into Manhattan, presumably waiting for the
opportunity to return home.

(Presumably no one had noticed it earlier because it was semi-dormant
from the air conditioning and thus blended in perfectly with the
commuters.)

It survived silly, near-hysterical adults and several very nasty,
murder-bent children, so I thought it deserved a break.  I picked it
up and let it off at my stop (it appeared almost friendly, and tooled
about happily across my hand) and put it in a bush.

Did I do something wrong?

(I wonder about this too when I rescue worms that come out onto the
concrete on city sidewalks and put them into soft earth (people look
at me like I'm mental)).

Am I doing my little bit to hurt these species?  Are these animals
transferring dopey genes onto the next generation, so that a whole
mess of misguided cicadas and worms will be around next year (or in 17
years as the case may be)?

Well, maybe it's not so off-topic after all.  Substitute the train for
a bolide and cicadas for dinosaurs and me for an intervening asteroid
that knocks the bolide off course and . . . ok it's totally OT.

Any thoughts?
==
Larry

"Atheism -- a non-prophet organization"