Re: CAT PHYLOGENY

DinosØMP wrote:

> I've based my feline-cladogram only on older books (1980-1990), Is the Lynx
> still
> regarded as a Feline? Here you say it's a Pantherine. It's pupil is allmost
> rounded,
> like as Pantherines, and it can reach much bigger than most Felines.

Again, it seems to depend on who you ask.  I have at least four decent
sources on cat taxonomy, and no two of them agree.  Alan Turner's _The
Big Cats and their Fossil Relatives_ (1997) places all the cats in one
subfamily and four genera: _Panthera_, _Lynx_, _Felis_, and _Acinonyx_,
with the first two closer to each other than either is to the other
two.  _The Book of the Cat_, a truly superb book but possibly a little
dated (1980) uses three genera, though _Felis_ is subdivided into a
large number of 'subgenera'.  _Great Cats_ from Facts on File (1991)
recognizes five genera in four distinct groups: _Panthera_, _Neofelis_,
and _Lynx_ in the 'big cat' lineage; South American cats as one lineage
within _Felis_; the domestic cats and its wild cousins as a separate
lineage within _Felis_; and _Acinonyx_ as incertae sedis.
Interestingly, _Great Cats_ places three or four _Felis_ species within
the 'big cats,' so under that scheme _Felis_ is polyphyletic.

Then there's the biochemical evidence, which indicates that the cougar
(_Felis concolor_) may actually be closer to the cheetah than it is to
any of the others.

It's a puzzlement.

-- Jon W.