Re: DINO EXTINCTIONS

All:

    Jonathan's point is important to note - what survived and how is as
important if not more important than what didn't make it.  (Except that
might be off-list :-))

    Also, please note that some of the death by bolide scenarios that have
been mentioned in these discussions seem to me to show the worse-case
scenario as THE ONE.  I certainly do not support the extreme versions of
these ideas.  I think that for the size of the event, the immediate effects
were close to minimal and extended for only a short period of time.  To me
the bolide impact was the event that triggered a SERIES of bad times for
dinosaurs and the other species that went extinct.

    One point that I'd like to re-iterate - Hibernation.  When I first had
to write an outline for a class on dino extinction that I was teaching, I
added hibernation as a possible means of survival of for those animals that
made it past the extinction event (K/T boundary).  At the time (1987), I had
not seen any papers or news articles that talked about hibernation as a
factor in survival of the K/T event.  I reasoned that since most of the
survivors could hibernate, maybe the extinct animals could not hibernate.
(My idea at the time was that dinosaurs, having evolved in a mostly warm,
mostly moist, hardly seasonal climate; did not need to hibernate, but that
some earlier and some later genera did need to hibernate).  (By the way,
since I produced that outline, it has been taught to around 75-125 dinosaur
docents, with little change - these are the volunteers that teach the public
about dinosaurs in the exhibits at the Academy of Natural Sciences - Mickey
can probably find a copy of my notes on extinction to verify.

        Allan Edels