Re: Gianit Caenagnathid/Chirostenotes

Jaime A. Headden wrote:

> You wrote:
>
> <Right now I don't have the time to look this up, but I will
> tomorrow/late tonight.
>
> Basically there is both skeletal elements as well as footprints, and
> amazing prints they are.
>
> So just bounce this back to me so I'll remember to give you the info.>
>
>           ___          ___          ___
>   BOUNCE_/   \_BOUNCE_/   \_BOUNCE_/   \_BOUNCE....

Ok, heres the scoop. The Sandy site has Chirostenotes material, claws at
least twice the size of the Dinosaur Provincal Park material. Mike
Triebold and Dale Russell believe the material to belong to a giant
Chirostenotes on the basis of the smaller DDP material. Which would seem
that at least this animal was getting bigger at the late Maastrichtian.

A few years ago Mike showed me pictures of the trackway site in South
Dakota. Mike and his family were walking around the bad lands and he
looked down and started to laugh, "that congolmerate looks like a foot
print", then he looked up a few feet and saw another one, "Oh it IS a
footprint". He was able to calculate the distance from print to print as
it went in to a small rise and found each one. It ever took a small
turn. Whats really really kool about the prints is that they are inverse
prints, not the typical print that is concave in the ground and you
really get a sense of the animal walking. The prints are nearly in a
row, or, directly under the body. I went over the Currie/Russell paper
on the DDP chirosteontes material, and they say, evey though the
complete pelvic area isn't know, but there is a lot by the way, the feet
would have been directly under the body just like the trackway. These
tracks indacate that it stood 6 feet at the hips.

Debra Boaz talked about it last year at the Mesa Southwest Museum
Symposium. This is just an abstract.

Boaz, Debra R., Michael Triebold, Paul R. Janke and Clifford L. Nystrom,
1997. Preliminary investigation of a possible Theropod Trackway in the
Hell Creek Formation of Harding County, South Dakota. Southwest
Paleontological Symposium - Proceedings, 1997: 79.

Lockly (et. al?) will be describing the trackway. Again, just an
incredible trackway.

Tracy