Re: What plesiosaurs ate

Garry Platt wrote:

> I thought numerous ammonites had been recovered with teeth marks identified
> as originating from both Ichthyosaur and Plesiosaur. This would be
> additional evidence for the prey/predator relationship.

Rodent tooth marks can be found on some mammoth bones. Does that mean
that the old elephant/mouse cliche actually has some sort of basis
in fact?  :)

On a more serious note, if plesiosaurs were oviparous, could they
have eaten shells in the same way that chickens will eat shell-grit,
to supplement calcium levels? Sometimes finding a smoking gun (such
as tooth marks) does not necessarily guarantee a conviction.

        Dann Pigdon
        GIS Archaeologist
        Melbourne, Australia

        Australian Dinosaurs: