Re: Size limit of being feathered

Jonathan (not to be confused with Ann Schmidt) <ashmidt@flash.net> wrote:
> --SNIP-- I can't seem to remember how much an elephant bird
> weighed.

See my "Max Size w/Feathers " post from the good ol' archives at :
<www.cmnh.org:80/fun/dinosaur-archive/1998May/msg00147.html>.

In that post, I state that Gregory S. Paul's _Predatory Dinosaurs of the
World_ gives a figure of 420 kg for _Aepyornis maximus_, the extinct
elephant bird of Madagascar.  I now see that David Lambert's _Guide to
Prehistoric Life_ gives a weight of 440 kg (970 lbs. for the metrically
impaired) for this animal.

-- Ralph Miller III     gbabcock@best.com

And please buy PDW.  It's excellent!