Re: Herbivorous Dinosaurs of the World ?

John V Jackson wrote, in regard to Greg Paul's "Predatory Dinosaurs of the
World:"
<The reason the rest of the intended series was not published was because what
we can safely call the "establishment" of dino palaeo squashed it.  What a
triumph for dino lovers, the field, and science in general!  Now compare that
chorus of criticism with the wall of silence we have now : I say again - when
did you last see secondary flightlessness (2F) aired by those who railed so
bitterly against what is slowly but steadily emerging as the peculiarly
frightening truth?  Surely those nice academics and fellow dinosaur fans
cannot be . . . that sort of thing couldn't happen these days . . . could it?>
  You may be correct, John, about the rigidity of scientific establishments,
but I would urge some caution. The inertia of scientific thought helps to
ballance incoming ideas with heavy resistance.  Only the best and most well-
tested of hypotheses can prevail to become accepted thought.  This is not such
a bad thing.
    For example, your zealotry for secondary flightlessness just might be
wrong, so some resistance could actually be warranted.  I for one, a non-
member of the Paleo establishment, am an advocate of brooding-came-first,
which needs no secondary flightlessness to explain most flight-related dino
and bird morphology.  I hope that resistance to my idea will result in my
honing it until it truly is "ready to fly."
    Tom Hopp