Re: Extinction scenarios

Jim Cunningham wrote:
<There'd be a lot of bare thermally exited hydrogen and deuterium nuclei
floating
around, and the lowest exited energy levels in light nuclei are typically
slightly
less than 1 MeV above the lowest level.  I was repeating Enever's postulation,
and
haven't done the calculations myself.  My hunch is that Enever is right, and
radiation from exited nuclei falling back to lower energy levels would be a
real
problem.  Again, I haven't done the calculation myself.>
    Your subtle ploy to get me to do nuclear physics failed, but I will agree
with you that there must have been some component of an ACTUAL nuclear event
going on simultaneously with the gas explosion.  All the more awe-inspiring.
    Tom Hopp