Re: Extinction scenarios

On Sun, 16 Aug 1998 TomHopp@aol.com wrote:

> Regarding a world-sweeping white hot air pressure wave out of Chixulub, John
> Bois wrote:
> <Fortunately, though, there was a deep, steel-reinforced, mammal bunker
> allowing 100% survival of placentals next to the blast in Montana!>
>
> Yes, something like that.  Its denizens probably thought of it as a burrow.

Touche.  But are you suggesting that 100% of the 100% survivors in
Montana were burrow dwellers.  I'm not sure where it is from but little
purgatorius (putative ancestor of primates) was almost certainly not a
digger and was probably arboreal (at least from memory).  And I'm
uncertain how a heat/shock wave would work.  Would the white-hotness heat
up the air for any extended time (minutes? hours?).  What is the killing
mechanism, burnt flesh, heat stroke--bearing in mind that most extant
burrows are far more shallow and conductive than the depth of an
hadrosaurs body core. Could a non-avian find protection in a lake?
My point here is that it is much easier to invoke killing mechanisms than
explain how they kill some things and not others.  And are you aware of
the diversity of killing mechanisms attributed to the boilde?  I am
arguing with a guy on sci.bio.evolution who is trumpeting the bolide's
effect of creating more than a decade's worth of near freezing
temperatures.  I don't know of any tropical mammals that could survive
this.

I'm not saying you are making such a ludicrous claim.  But how can us
skeptics tell who is on the money and who is full of hot air when, to tell
the truth, not much thought seems to have been put into the matter.