Re: Brooding over dinos

Ronald I. Orenstein wrote:
<I would still argue that it <wing-feather brooding> is far from being a
primary brooding technique (I was thinking primarily of eggs - I suspect that
the wings are used more often to shelter young from heat or rain) and that I
cannot offhand think of an example of a specific adaptation (such as the brood
patch or the water-holding feathers of sandgrouse) in the wing that is
brooding-related.>

Except, perhaps the most obvious one - the very shape of the wing itself.  It
works so well for flying that (here is my main point) the fact that it is also
highly engineered for BROODING has been neglected by modern science.  We have
all been in the teliological habit of assuming that flight requirements
dictate the shape of the wing and its feathers.  My point is: the wing is
HIGHLY evolved for brooding as well -- therefore I ask, on what grounds do we
assume that flight came first?
    Also, for future reference, the term brooding DOES include sheltering
hatchlings.  The most precise term for what a bird does with eggs is
INCUBATION, which is a sub-category of brooding.  To make sense of what I am
saying, it would be best to always refer to the larger sense of brooding as
"raising a family," --from start to finish.  In this regard, my Websters says:
"Brood - to hover over or protect (offspring, etc.) with or as with the wing."
    Tom Hopp