Re: Paired oviducts

At 11:06 AM 8/17/98 -0700, Ralph Miller wrote:
>Now that the paired eggs within _Sinosauropteryx prima_ seem to agree with....>

How silly of me. I assumed the eggs in Sinosauropteryx were in the single oviduct and would be laid in sequence. Extant birds do this. It takes about 3 days to move from ovary as the yolk, albumin, and shell have to be added. But birds frequently lay every-other-day. Hence,there is always something in the pipeline. So having 2 eggs in the oviduct would not be a surprise.

Do some extant birds also have paired oviducts?
Birds generally have only a single oviduct. Exceptions include the hawks, falcons and vultures,
and the Brown Kiwi. Occasionally they occur in various pigeons, gulls and some song birds. The cases of barnyard birds changing sex is usually the result of hormone imbalances.

Cheers,

Alan

Alan H. Brush
92 High St.