        From:   Larry Dunn [SMTP:majestic_cheese@yahoo.com]
        Sent:   Friday, August 14, 1998 1:03 PM
        To:     dinosaur@usc.edu
        Subject:        Common ceratopsian horn ailments

        What, if anything, does the fossil record tell us about common
        ailments of ceratopsian (or ceratopian, if you prefer) horns?
        Breakage, problematic rehealings (if this happened), rot, possible
        problems due to prior malnutrition, whatever.

        If there is a decent amount of material, if it genus or species
        specific or common to all ceratopsians?

        Most importantly, how would it manifest itself physically?  For
        instance, how would part of a horn have broken off? Please be
specific
        if you can so that I get a decent idea of what I'd be looking at if
        were standing a few feet from the head of the animal.

        An odd question, but thanks for any help,

        ==
        Larry

        "Atheism -- a non-prophet organization"