        From:   TomHopp@aol.com [SMTP:TomHopp@aol.com]
        Sent:   Monday, August 17, 1998 12:27 PM
        To:     dinosaur@usc.edu
        Subject:        Re: brooding Tyrannosaur

        "larryf" <larryf@capital.net> wrote:
        <In the discussions about the ability of T rex to support its weight

        while possibly brooding its nest, I noticed that nobody has
mentioned that

        large pubic structure that might have served as a perfect fulcrum,
and

        allowed T rex a great degree of precise control of its forequarters,
as it

        would not be supporting a ton of mass, but , actually closer to no
weight at

        all due to the counterbalancing tail at the other end of the
fulcrum.

        Perhaps this is why these large, cursorial,"bird"-descendants have
their

        pubes sticking way , out, and not in a more rear- directed,
bird-like

        manner.>
            From my perspective, an almost perfect explanation.
Furthermore, the
        smallish hands would be quite useful in fine control as the breast
was lowered
        onto the nest. Here, I ignore the unfounded notion that T rex's arms
were
        buried under masses of chest-flesh, as some have suggested.
            One flaw in your logic: "Bird-descendents" should read:
"Bird-cousins."
            Tom Hopp