RE: SCUBASAURUS

     Greetings,

     This seems an interesting thread so I thought I'd contribute my two
     cents worth.
     Granted that the reasoning below by Mr. Mallon is logical I would have
     to say that theropods would operate on instinct rather than reason.
     Surely the predatory instinct would drive the theropods to pursue
     their prey into any terrain (short of commiting suicide that is). If a
     theropod is capable of navigating a body of water (isn't there
     evidence of possible theropod fording of rivers - i.e. partial
     fossilised footprints?), it must be capable of driving a panicked prey
     animal before it and out of the water, especially if it was engaged in
     group hunting? I would also tend to think that the last place a
     sauropod would instinctively run to for safety would be water -
     wouldn't there always be a danger of becoming slowed by muddy terrain
     on the softer foreshores of a body of water? Surely a sauropod would
     seek safety with its herd first.
     On another tack, if we accept that Mr. Mallons arguments are valid
     then is it not also possible that the theropods would follow anyway
     driven by the same predatory instinct? Are there not examples of other
     predators following prey animals to their own detriment (I'm thinking
     now of smilodon becoming trapped at La Brea after attacking mired
     herbivores)?
     Is this reasoning flawed? I'd really like to hear some feedback if
     possible. Thank you.

     Miguel A. Garcia
     boodge@ozemail.com.au

     If the victim didn't sink first, the allosaurs would have had