Re: Extinction scenarios

In a message dated 98-08-18 17:36:19 EDT, bettyc@flyinggoat.com writes:

<< Isn't this the whole point DinoGeorge?
 Aren't paleontologists the same as era-specific coroners? >>

Very true, but not exactly my point, which is: When we say that the dinosaurs
were killed by the asteroid impact, this is not to be taken as meaning that
the dinosaurs were all >directly< killed by the impact (that is, by having
pieces of the asteroid physically strike them), but rather that the asteroid
impact set in motion chains of events that did the destruction--events that,
in the absence of the impact, would not have happened. Now that I spell it out
like that, however, my point turns into a bit of a straw man. Oh, well. Seemed
more significant when I wrote it the first time.