Re: nesting rexes (resting nexes?)

At 10:41 AM 8/19/98 -0700, Betty Cunningham wrote:
>Would this hypothetical mound be in any particular soil type?
>
>Would we see a prediliction towards sand (desert regions and near
>rivers) perhaps as it's easy to scoop?
>
>How 'bout mud which is common enough in delta areas and fits in with
>much of the types of other known nesting dinosaurs environs?
>
>Heck, we could even put a good furrow in clay with a T rex.  The
>fortunate thing about being a 30 foot long, 9 ton T rex,

(Just an aside: a 10 m rex wouldn't be anywhere near 9 tons: more like 4-5
tons: see the Farlow et al. 1995 tripping T. rex paper in _JVP_).

>is you could
>probably scoop dirt in just about any soil there is.  That is you have
>the muscle required to get the dirt moved.
>
>It would seem to me that a T rex scooping dirt with it's feet would tend
>to scoop lots of dirt and these mounds would be LARGE as the parts of
>the T rex used in making this mound are all humungous.

These are all precisely the sorts of things I would be very interested in
finding out.  There are the sorts of things that, given the proper fossil
evidence, we could examine.

As it stands, tyrannosaurid eggs have not been confidently identified (at
least some of the so-called "Tarbosaurus" eggs from China are
therizinosauroids, not tyrannosaurids), much less tyrannosaurid nests.  In
other words, the hard physical evidence to evalute these different
possibilities are not yet available.  I could speculate one way or another,
but at present the only fair answer is "we don't know".

Perhaps Octavio Mateus can add his observations about the nest site of
allosaur eggs from Lourinha.  Although obviously less closely related to
tyrannosaurids than are oviraptorosaurs or troodontids, this nest site may
give us important information on how one large theropod taxon dealt with its
eggs.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661