Re: Extinction scenarios -Reply

>>> <TomHopp@aol.com> 08/19/98 02:17pm >>>
In a message dated 8/19/98 4:40:38 AM, Jaime A. Headden wrote:

<<  The migration, of course, brings with it diseases, a scenario I have
always thought very much possible.>>

TH:
    After twenty years in the biotech industry, and several patented
vaccines
to my credit, I must urge you to abandon the "disease got them" tack.
Quite
simply, no way.

And then offered two arguments against the disease scenario.

Wiwaxia:

As a former and unrepentant parasitologist, I also offer the fact that most
disease organisms are restrictedin the hosts that they can invade and
cause disease.  In some hosts, symbionts that cause disease in others
are actually mutualists and mere commensals in still others. Others they
do not even have the ability to attack.  I do not buy the disease story for
the demise of even one "species" of dinosaur and I do not think it is
documented that a disease has ever wiped out an entire "species."  I
know that populations have been decimated (in the modern sense of
9/10 wiped out) but never 100% killed.

My money is still riding on the bolide and the ecological chaos that
resulted.

By the way, does anyone have a good date for the Manson Crater in
Iowa?  I'd get it myself but I never had much luck on dates.

Wiwaxia