Re: Looking for tiny dinosaurs

For a reasonably recent treatment of "tiny" dinosaurs from the Triassic,
see the following:

Hunt, A.P. and Lucas, S.G.,1994, Ornithischian dinosaurs from the Upper
Triassic of the United States:  in N.C. Fraser and H.D. Sues, eds., In the
Shadow of Dinosaurs:  Early Mesozoic tetrapods:  Cambridge University
Press, Cambridge, p. 226-241.

        That volume, combined with the references cited within it, will
bring the dinosaur enthusiast reasonably up-to-date on Late Triassic and
Early Jurassic small dinosaurs. Hunt and Lucas name several taxa based on
teeth, namely _Tecovasaurus_, _Pekinosaurus_, _Galtonia_, and
_Lucianosaurus_. All of these were very small ornithischians. Whether one
chooses to accept these as genera, "form genera", or nomina dubia, they
are still evidence of small (under 1.5 m total body length) Triassic
ornithischians. Most of these teeth were discovered by projects
investigating microvertebrates in much the same way that workers have
sought to investigate small mammals, as you described.

        Not-so-incidentally, my Ph.D. work will involve screenwashing
multiple sites in the lower Chinle Group to find more microvertebrates,
including dinosaurs. Thus, once all the buckets of concentrate are picked,
I should be able to answer your question in considerably more depth.

Hope this helps,

Andrew B. Heckert

 On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, Jeff Hecht wrote:

> Another way to look for signs of tiny dinosaurs would be to search for
> small teeth, the most likely fossils as for Mesozoic mammals (many of which
> are known only from teeth). Has anybody done this? Are small dinosaur teeth
> considered evidence of juveniles, or of possible small species?
> -- Jeff Hecht

Andrew B. Heckert
Dept. Earth and Planetary Sciences
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131

"The great thing about democracy is that people elect the government they
deserve."
        -???