RE: T rex brooding

        -----Original Message-----
        From:   Allan Edels [SMTP:edels@email.msn.com]
        Sent:   Thursday, August 20, 1998 10:25 PM
        To:     dinosaur@usc.edu
        Subject:        Re: T rex brooding

        Dwight:

            We do have a _Giganotosaurus_ mount (cast, etc.) here in
Philadelphia
        (PA) at the ANSP (Academy of Natural Sciences, Phila).  It is in the
main
        lobby, climbing over the desk.  It faces the cast of _T. rex_
(copied from
        the American Museum of Natural History's [NY] specimen  - changed to
reflect
        a more active idea of _T. rex_).

            My understanding is that the mount is based on 35-40% of the
skeleton,
        which was all that was available when the mount was being built.
The jaws
        are fairly distinctive, and the head is very long.  The body is not
as
        robust as _T. rex_ - and tying back to our earlier discussion, the
_T. rex_
        is presumed male.

                Allan Edels

        You LUCKY guys!!! :-)  Is there a picture of the mount anywhere on
the Web?
        The estimates I have read and/or heard is that the Giganotosaurus
was longer &
        Perhaps heavier than a Tyrannosaurus Rex, but not as tall or
muscular.  Does that match the
        Mount in Philadelphia?

        Sadly, we have few museums in Texas & very few natural history
museums! :-(

        Dwight