Post K-T speculation

From: larryf <larryf@capital.net>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Subject: Post K-T speculation
Date: Saturday, August 22, 1998 8:37 AM
I was just wondering, if there is any record of an explosive radiation of
flightless birds in the early Paleocene...or is the fossil record just too
spotty to indicate this? The way I`ve spouted off in support of BCF by
mentioning that a flightless condition would have developed quite often in
the absence of predators, would seem to predict just such an  initial
development of many forms. (Notice that I`m putting my neck on the chopping
block here out of insatiable curiosity!).
I`ve read of Diatryma, in my only reference at hand, (Carroll`s "Vert Paleo
and Evolution"). He mentions this one type of paleo-bird being found in
several places, China, Europe, and North America, but he dosn`t seem to
indicate a large number of finds, or large variety,  that might constitute
an "explosive radiation".
Does anyone have any details about this? Also, can anyone recommend a good
reference text on Tertiary species, describing ecological environment as
well? Also, I`d like to mention that I`ve recently moved  to the stix, have
plenty of time on my hands to brood over dino problems, but am no longer
within walking, (or driving) ,distance of any major reference libraries. The
SUNY at Plattsburgh is a Teachers College, and I have access to Nature and
the like, but absolutely no paleontological journals. As I`m not a student
or Professor, I`m not entitled to inter-library loan. I`ve tried the
internet, (I`m new to computers as well), but it seems that all college
libraries request that you  show a student ID.,yet I`m sure that if I were
there in person, I could use their microfilm, etc. Is there any way around
this? Can I bribe someone??