Re: Obnoxious Oceans [

<< Deep ocean goes anoxic and
 oxygen minimum zone rises spilling over onto shelves and interior seas.
 Great source rock for oil (much studied). Two big episodes of this
 happened during "middle" Cretaceous (in Albian and at end of
 Cenomanian).  >>

  About ten years ago, I heard that the possible cause of this sea-level
maximum, was possibly an enormous plume in the mantle below the South Pacific
which elevated the sea level and greatly increased the amount of seafloor
spreading, and consequently subduction below the western coasts of the
Americas. I thought the idea compelling and wonder if there any publications
now available or recommended for further information on this? Dan Varner.