extinguish the extinction thread

I received one call to end the extinction thread when it seemed that
the thread was dying down.  I figured I'd let the thread die a natural
death since most of the participants were saying they were saying
their last words.  But now I've received a second request and those
who were saying their last words are finding they have more last
words...

Be it hereby decreed that the current extinction threads should be
taken off-list.  If you have something you *really* want to say on the
subject, please say it before 5:00 PM EST (GMT -0500) on Monday
8-24-98.  Failure to heed this warning may result in dire
consequences (if you thought a 10 km bolide was bad, wait'll you see
the next one)!

For those that want to see the thread continue, have no fear; I'm sure
that some vestiges of the current debate will survive this moratorium
and repopulate the list sometime within the next six months.  This
asteroid may destroy almost all of the eggs, but some non-egg-laying
participants will build a new ecosystem, and it will probably be just
as interesting as the current one.

--
Mickey Rowe     (mrowe@indiana.edu)