Re: extinguish the extinction thread

I agree with Tom Hopp's comments about snuffing out discussions. I
recently read an interesting paper (no cite available right now) that
used content analysis to assess the dynamics of discussions on an
internet discussion list. One of the conclusions reached by the authors
is that threads seem to have a regular life-span, with a identifiable
beginning, middle and end. No doubt the extinction thread would have
died, or more likely have gone dormant, on its own. I question the need
to prematurely stop a thread that still has some interested followers and
where discussion continues on a professional level.

Perhaps as an interesting side note, the longest threads in the study
mentioned above were those that involved "flame wars", and the longest
thread was a flame war directed at one list member who others felt
contributed too often!