        From:   Allan Edels [SMTP:edels@email.msn.com]
        Sent:   Saturday, August 22, 1998 1:09 PM
        To:     dinosaur@usc.edu
        Subject:        Re: _Giganoto_ is no speedster (was RE: T rex
brooding)

        Tom:

            As far as I know, when they mounted the ANSP version of _T.
rex_, they
        carefully cut out the excess improper tail verts.  Ken Carpenter was
in
        charge of the mount (all the mounts in the 1986 version of the
exhibit) -
        you might be able to check with him as to whether they used allosaur
verts
        and chevrons or whether they replaced them.

            As to the proportions, I was unaware that the legs were from
another
        specimen.  The feet on the ANSP copy are most likely wrong - and
they have
        been broken off and replaced several times.

            Allan Edels

        P.S. Tom - Hope your WorldCon appearance went well.  Maybe we'll see
you
        here in Philly for the WorldCon 2001.