re: Oviphagus armadillos

On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, David Lessin wrote:

> Also, and I raised this point before in an old stealthy oviphagus
>thread, there is (was at that time at least), no evidence in the fossil
>record of eutherian mammals having preyed on dinosaur eggs. My guess is
>that if mammals were preying upon dinosaur eggs in the fashion that was
>ascribed to the hairy armadillo, that the same event/process that led to
>the fossilization of a dino-nesting site,  would similarily preserve some
>evidence  of this form of predation in/and the  network of underground
>tunnels.

To the extent that non-avian dinosaurs used sand, tunnels were more
unlikely (i.e., more likely to collapse).  For me, no matter how the eggs
are reached, the ability to crack them in a smallish mammal is what
counts, what causes the greatest incredulity.  And yet here is hard
evidence!  One question I didn't ask the author of the paper is whether or
not he/she would expect the evidence to fossilize.